Supported Child Development
Supported Child Development (SCD) is a community-based program that assists families of children (ages 0-12) with extra support needs access inclusive child care that meets those needs. SCD operates under the principles of inclusion and family centered practice. Using a multi-disciplinary approach, our team offers planning, assessment, training, resources and hands-on support to successfully include children with extra support needs in licensed child care programs.
SCD provides the following services to support children, families, and child care providers:
- Individual planning to promote each child’s development
- Consultation services
- Strategies to promote an inclusive environment
- Ongoing training and information to help with each child’s development
- Resources such as books, toys and specialized equipment
- Referrals to other services such as therapists or specialists
- Where necessary, additional staffing to ensure that children may participate fully with their peers
SCD is voluntary, free of charge, and funded through the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD). Parents and guardians may refer their child themselves or grant permission for a community professional to refer.